Generic Instructions for Using the TI-83 Graphing Calculator to Solve
for the Equation of a Graph Line
Entering Lists of Data & Graphing the Data
- Press the STAT key. Highlight EDIT, 1:Edit, then press
ENTER. Input lists of data: use L1 for the "x" values; L2 for the
"y" values. (Note: be careful--must have the same number of data entries
for x and y!)
- Press the 2nd, then Y= buttons. From the STAT PLOTS
menu, choose 1:Plot1 and make the following settings:
- Plot 1 (On)
- Type: Scatter Plot
- Xlist (L1)
- Ylist (L2)
- Mark (square)
- Press the WINDOW key (manually set values), or press the
ZOOM key and use the down-arrow key to highlight 9:ZoomStat
and then press ENTER.
- If necessary, press the GRAPH key.
Solving for the Equation of a Graph Line
- Press the STAT key. Use the right-arrow key to highlight
CALC; use the down-arrow key to highlight 5:LinReg(ax+b) and press
ENTER. Press ENTER again.
- Press the Y= key. Press the VARS key; use the
down-arrow key to highlight 5:Statistics..., then press
- Use the right-arrow key to highlight EQ, use the
down-arrow key to highlight 7:RegEQ, then press ENTER.
- Press the GRAPH key; from the scatter plot points, a graph line
- Press the TRACE key, then press the up-arrow key to
select the Plot 1 tracing (you should see a "1" in the upper right-hand
corner of the screen). Use the left- or right-arrow keys to
trace the graph line; note the X and Y coordinates at the bottom of the
Copyright (c) 1996-2010 by Walter
Sanford. All rights reserved.
TI-83 Help | Geosystems in FCPS